Honda City buyers ...BEWARE!

General Udon Thani topics only!
Mudguard
udonmap.com

Post by Mudguard » March 30, 2014, 6:45 pm

HI...I got a flat tyre last week and on changing the wheel I find a different spare rim and different tyre!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I spoke to someone who also had the same car n he said he had the same problem....

If I had known this when I bought the car new, I would not have bought it with mixed wheels.. Never, in 50 years in Australia have I ever heard of this happening in Aust...I am used to having 5 wheels n tyres the same so I can change around to get an even wear out of them,, How true...Bloody amazing Thailand.... :shock:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 30, 2014, 6:56 pm

It is certainly not just a Thai thing.
Saab were putting thin 50 mile an hour tyres as the spare years ago & plenty of others in the luxury market have done the same - to save space & weight.
The concept is that the spare is just that, for use in an emergency only...

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 30, 2014, 7:17 pm

BobHelm wrote:It is certainly not just a Thai thing.
Saab were putting thin 50 mile an hour tyres as the spare years ago & plenty of others in the luxury market have done the same - to save space & weight.
The concept is that the spare is just that, for use in an emergency only...
They are called "space savers" and have been standard with most European car for several years now , looks like they are now becoming popular with manufacturers in Asia / Thailand . I think they are as you state for use in emergencies only with a warning to reduce speed drastically when its on the car ... basically just enough to get you to the nearest garage.

Personally having had to recently use the space saver on our vehicle i can say...... i hate the blooming things .

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Post by Asiaphile » March 30, 2014, 7:24 pm

Exactly, Bob. Nothing to do with Thailand.
I can't speak for Oz but in Europe even the space-savers are now being phased out and replaced by just a tyre repair kit, consisting of an electric pump and a bottle of sealant.
Perhaps the situation in Australia is different because it is sparsely populated and the long distances.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/roa ... -tyre.html

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 30, 2014, 8:36 pm

The spare in my 2012 Honda City has a standard rim, and full size tyre.

As for Oz, this gives a snapshot of the current position - even the iconic Holden Commodore no longer includes a full size spare:

http://www.racq.com.au/__data/assets/pd ... hicles.pdf

http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars/ca ... pare_tyres

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Post by Sakhonnick » March 30, 2014, 9:07 pm

Lucky you have a spare, I had a flat 80klms from town and had to run on the tyre to get back to town was a Sunday aswell, the tyres are run flat design, no spare wheel or tyre in my car

Tyre was screwed 18,000 baht for a new one sent up from Bangkok for my little white car

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » March 31, 2014, 12:09 am

You guys are complaining about tires. Just wait until the CVS transmission needs service. I would have never bought that car if I was aware of that problem.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » March 31, 2014, 10:05 am

Automobile Manufactures in the States have been doing it for years. We call them donuts and looks very undersized and not very substantial . The spare has a limited millage and speed recommendations and is supposed to be just enough to get you to a repair garage. I agree with the transmission comment. Transmission problems can get very expensive very quickly.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » March 31, 2014, 10:19 am

Keeping within the thread discussion in regards to automobile tires. The Toyota dealer in the states that I dealt with was promoting the 2012 Toyota RAV with " Run Flat " tires. There replacement cost was $230 - $250 for each tire....!
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 31, 2014, 10:57 am

cars in Oz have those space saving tyre spares
not to sure which ones but I remember seeing the little orange rimmed ones there

pmc
udonmap.com

Post by pmc » March 31, 2014, 11:15 am

space savers are a extra if your buying a focus or feista which are manufactored in thailand now
all you get is spray can of glue to inflate the tyre,if the sidewall is split your stuffed.

most people don't know this until it's too late.and i know the salesman never tell them.
space savers cost around $230.00 aud

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”