farang begging

General Udon Thani topics only!
timmy
udonmap.com

farang begging

Post by timmy » September 27, 2014, 8:37 am

yesterday while out for a few cold 1s , in a city center bar an english guy came in looking for the owner who was out at the time saying he wanted to work for food or cash , says he,ed just come down from nong khai where he,ed been living on the streets begging for 3 months ( and was on 3 months overstay ) . a couple of guys drinking said he,ed been in tescos begging and the plaza , before he left he said he was going to stay in udon as long as he could , to make money .
should you give to beggers or not ???

akwoodworker
udonmap.com

farang begging

Post by akwoodworker » September 27, 2014, 8:53 am

I will always offer food but rarely money. Volunteering at our soup kitchen I see folks every day who only want cash for their lover, be it alcohol or drugs

pomps
udonmap.com

farang begging

Post by pomps » September 27, 2014, 9:00 am

Would you be breaking any thai law by giving a job to an illegal,in this case he has said he is on overstay. :-k
Did he look scruffy in appearance,if well groomed, then start to wonder if just b/s :-k

downunder
udonmap.com

farang begging

Post by downunder » September 27, 2014, 9:05 am

Point him in the direction of the Udon Expat Club. There "motto", Expats Helping Expats

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Re: farang begging

Post by JoeThrows » September 27, 2014, 9:11 am

Never give cash. Time, advice, an ear to listen etc but never cash

pomps
udonmap.com

farang begging

Post by pomps » September 27, 2014, 9:13 am

Strange he would waste money in traveling to udon thani,could have spent it in nong khai and continued staying there,imm office there as well to plead your case.
Remember we had a german? a few years back,holes in his shoes,claiming lost his wallet,wanting help,seen in old tesco,maybe going to get a few more,should keep the expats club busy then.
Next meeting when?

fatbob
udonmap.com

farang begging

Post by fatbob » September 27, 2014, 9:26 am

Sometimes its cruel to be kind, call the tourist police and let them and his embassy sort it out, if he has no money then he should be at his home country not in Thailand begging, its dangerous for himself and not a good look for other westerners who live here.

timmy
udonmap.com

farang begging

Post by timmy » September 27, 2014, 9:35 am

he was dirty but not over the top , by the sound of him he,ed over stayed his welcome in nong khai and they wanted him gone . i did,nt know where the " udon expat club " was in udon .

jingjai
udonmap.com

farang begging

Post by jingjai » September 27, 2014, 11:17 am

coxo wrote:Sometimes its cruel to be kind, call the Tourist Police and let them and his embassy sort it out, if he has no money then he should be at his home country not in Thailand begging, its dangerous for himself and not a good look for other Westerners who live here.
Exactly. Thailand and Udon have enough problems as it is.
However, I will add this to coxo's post: this is really an Immigration Police or Royal Thai Police issue.
From what I've read on different forums, most embassies couldn't care less about their citizens in foreign countries who have problems.
The only thing I can suggest, get him to one of those Christian ministry centers. There used to be one across the road from the old Mojos Bar on Prajak Rd. Not sure if it is still located there?
timmy wrote:I didn't know where the "udon expat club" was in udon .
Timmy, FYI, the Udon Expats Club, meets on the last Sunday, of every month, which is tomorrow, 14:00 at Bangkok Hospital.

jingjai
udonmap.com

farang begging

Post by jingjai » September 27, 2014, 11:36 am

I stand corrected: http://www.udonexpatsclub.com/meetings/meetings.html
Every last Sunday of the month we meet at 13.30 hrs in the conference room of the Bangkok Hospital Udon.
Exceptions will be announced on this website and email (if address is known).
The Agenda is published in advance.
Visitors are welcome to join. Bring a friend.
Refreshments: i.e. coffee, tea, water, some cakes or cookies will be available at the meeting room.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

farang begging

Post by FrazeeDK » September 27, 2014, 11:55 am

judging from the news over the years and personal observation, the BiB as well as the Immigration Police would just as soon not deal with indigent Farang unless they become a huge nuisance.
Dave

Macca
udonmap.com

farang begging

Post by Macca » September 27, 2014, 2:28 pm

An English guy I got to know quite well has just spent 10 weeks in Suan Phlu immigration centre Bangkok after being arrested for a long overstay. He was only released once someone bought him a 1 way ticket home. He told me there are a number of foreigners in there who have obliviously gone totally insane as they have no one who can bail them out and the embassies have no interest in helping them.

If anyone sees this guy maybe the best approach is to try and warn him of the implications, but chances are he wont listen.

SJP17
udonmap.com

farang begging

Post by SJP17 » September 27, 2014, 2:56 pm

We went for a we trip to Pattaya for the weekend in January and when sitting at the hotel bar , a young guy came in stood in front of our table and asked for 5 baht, i said No , he walked and asked another table who gave him some change , this guy was mid twenties but looked terrible, worn clothes , and scratch marks on his face. First time a farang begged money from me since i first came to thailand in 98 !

pomps
udonmap.com

farang begging

Post by pomps » September 27, 2014, 3:22 pm

Had to put an old thread onto this one re the farang that wanted to sit down and drink Trubrits fine whisky :shock: did go off on a tangent about safari shorts/attire but a good read with tips on clothes \:D/
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/a ... 19705.html

pomps
udonmap.com

farang begging

Post by pomps » September 27, 2014, 3:41 pm

Found the original thread of the man with the holes in his shoes,damn fine read again :shock: :D 8)
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/f ... 10227.html
Too much time on me hands at the moment,solly 8)

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

farang begging

Post by stattointhailand » September 27, 2014, 4:27 pm

After the case of the German beggar who was caught partying in Pattaya after being given B50,000 going viral on Thai social media, I doubt that too many farang beggars are going to be given a lot by the Thais in the near future. Most of the comments, I have seen usually involve an oversized foot disappearing where the sun don't shine :lol: .....who said Thais dont have a sense of humour :-"

http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/09/25/ ... in-pattaya

dazzz
udonmap.com

farang begging

Post by dazzz » September 27, 2014, 4:52 pm

After reading this i feel so good .Good because i worry after i have been in thailand a few years i would be like the farangs on this forum but after reading your replies on this topic i know i am not yet that bad a person :D .\
I met the german in old Tesco and even though i did not believe a bit of his story about losing his wallet he looked like he needed some food ,a beer and some cigarettes so i gave hime 1000 baht. I lived up until this month when my pension started on 25,000 baht a month , very poor and when i read about you all shopping in chern chim quality foods , tops , vill mart etc with your angus steaks, baramundi, lobster , crabs things i could not afford in uk never mind in thailand about 200-300% more expensive than uk etc saying things like give him nothing , no cash .call the police etc makes me feel sick and more ashamed of you than the beggar.
Just a little bit of info for you . Every month i go to a restaurent near nakha with my headteacher wife . Free food from the government . Present , head amphoe phen, head police phen ,heads of lots schools etc . After 6 yrs of this i find they do not care about farangs who beg ,get drunk ,fight etc as they see them as the same as thai but they do not like rich farangs who build big houses and have lots money as they think they drive land and house prices up and change thailand to suit themselvesrightly or wrongly it is what they think and it is you they do not like
Next time you wish to write you are ashamed of bad behaved farangs giving the rest of you a bad name it is you who are thought of as being bad for Thailand

plumbers
udonmap.com

farang begging

Post by plumbers » September 27, 2014, 5:55 pm

Daz take what most expats say with a pinch of salt most of the ones i have met seem to be ok , There are others that have reinvented them selves but in their own countries they are nonentities . This guy is down on his luck none of us know how he got into this position maybe that could happen to any of us, as for giving us a bad name ! well in the eyse of many Thais we are all as bad as each other. Driving your new four by four or big house or begging on the street just another farang .

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

farang begging

Post by FrazeeDK » September 27, 2014, 8:05 pm

the wife was at the beauty shop the other day and two middle class Thai wives were going on about "Farang wives" (Thais married to Farang) driving up the Tea Money demanded by school administrators for placing their kids into the decent schools.. Funny they would blame it on the "miah farang" when the corruption was rooted in those demanding and receiving the bribes.
Dave

fatbob
udonmap.com

farang begging

Post by fatbob » September 27, 2014, 8:23 pm

Dazz get your head out of your a--e, the guy will get no respect from Thais and is living very dangerously, he hasn't paid taxes here and will receive no help at all, he needs to go home. Simple, if any westerner thinks otherwise then may your god be with you...

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”