Bubba's Bar & Grill (Sponsor)

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
BigRick808
udonmap.com

Post by BigRick808 » October 4, 2014, 8:49 pm

Mom? Haha :) Never heard that one, Bubba. Moms are pretty common all over :badteeth:

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » October 4, 2014, 9:09 pm

Then you certainly aren't American.

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » October 4, 2014, 9:13 pm

BigRick808 wrote:Mom? Haha :) Never heard that one, Bubba. Moms are pretty common all over :badteeth:
Indeed! As stated, this is an AMERICAN expression that dates back to WWII when GI's were asked what they missed most about home.

Here's more help:

motherhood and apple pie
Fig. an often parodied sentiment expressed about allegedly quintessential elements of American home life. Fred is so old-fashioned. Everything about old times is good to him. He's all motherhood and apple pie.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.

And another link from English language and usage: http://english.stackexchange.com/questi ... -apple-pie

BTW, have you tried our Apple Pie? :-k
Every day I wake up is a good day.

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » October 4, 2014, 9:41 pm

I haven't, but I will. Mom like to make cherry and peach mostly. My favorite was peach. Fresh peaches. As I'm sure you know, the military got to using "mom and apple pie" a bit derisively....lol.

BigRick808
udonmap.com

Post by BigRick808 » October 5, 2014, 5:16 am

I hope you didn't find my comment offensive, Bubba. And I certainly wasn't trying to criticize your food. I've just never heard that before. Maybe it's more common in some places than others, or that it's dated. I have heard "as American as apple pie" or "as American as baseball and apple pie". If a person was asked what they missed from home and they said their mother and apple pie, I can understand and relate to that. I asked my sister and she just squinted her eye and wrinkled her nose as she laughed and said "no". Now we have both heard it and are better off for it :D

No. I haven't tried your pie, but I did drop in one day with the hopes of meeting you and having a chat. Your wife said you were out running errands and that I just missed you. I did try a burger w/ fries with a brew and found it to be very tasty. It was much better than one of the portable burger stands that I ate at, by far.

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » October 8, 2014, 10:43 am

Good Morning Udon Thani !

Jun had her first catering event yesterday. Serving our tasty cheeseburgers and tacos to 40 teachers and staff at Udon Christian school to celebrate the end of the semester. Everything went off without a hitch, albeit she almost gave me a heart attack in the hours before. Reminds me of a Vince Lombardi saying, "I don't have ulcers, but I'm a carrier".
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Weekend special TBA, stay tuned.

Come join us!

Bubba and Jun

BigBubba
udonmap.com

EARLY CLOSING TODAY @ Bubba's Bar & Grill (Sponsor)

Post by BigBubba » October 9, 2014, 9:57 am

We'll be closing at 8PM today so we can pick up some of Jun's family at the airport.

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » October 10, 2014, 11:38 am

The above post was for yesterday only.

This weekend's special will be Johnsonville Italian Sausage Rigatoni. A hot sausage with Jun's spicy spaghetti sauce and rigatoni pasta. Served with garlic bread or soft roll. Available Saturday and Sunday only.

I was tipped off that Villa had some real Louisiana andouille sausage in stock, so I picked up a few packs of that yesterday. PLUS, a friend dropped off a supply of file (fee' lay) powder recently, so stand by for some really tasty Cajun food, coming soon.

Come join us!

Bubba and Jun

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » October 12, 2014, 6:27 pm

Thanks to all for a nice week. Yummy stuff coming for next week.

REMINDER: CLOSED Monday and Tuesday every week.

Tooth coming out tomorrow morning at AEK. :shock: Wish me luck.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » October 12, 2014, 10:59 pm

BigBubba wrote:***
Thanks to all for a nice week. Yummy stuff coming for next week.

REMINDER: CLOSED Monday and Tuesday every week.

Tooth coming out tomorrow morning at AEK. :shock: Wish me luck.
Good luck on the tooth pull, if it is the same lady dentist I used a few years ago for a broken tooth extraction, she was very good but if she give you a script for 5 or 10 pain pills get outside their pharmacy as just ibuprofen under another name.

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » October 15, 2014, 11:07 am

All went well with the tooth extraction. Details here: http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/p ... ml#p395557

Got an minor electrical problem that needs tending at the moment. More news later.

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » October 16, 2014, 6:32 pm

BigBubba wrote:
Got an minor electrical problem that needs tending at the moment. More news later.
Well, TiT. The minor electrical problem was a couple outlets that needed changing out because they were loose and not making good contact with appliances that were plugged into them. Luckily a good customer, and friend, who just happens to be a licensed journeyman electrician in America was in town and dropped by to do the change. One was a snap. The second was, well, when he opened the cover he just muttered a low WTF! A birds nest of wires going every which direction. No color continuity, and as he said, nothing made sense. Thai engineering (or jury rigging) at it's best. Anyway, now everything is fixed, even properly grounded.

This weekend's special will be a classic Louisiana Seafood Gumbo from an Emeril Lagasse recipe... BAM! Saturday and Sunday only, or while supplies last.

Come join us!

Bubba and Jun

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » October 16, 2014, 7:32 pm

You know I'll be there.

BigBubba
udonmap.com

NO PIZZA @ Bubba's Bar & Grill (Sponsor)

Post by BigBubba » October 17, 2014, 10:16 am

We don't make pizza at Bubba's, but we sure like eating it! :D Jun's 10 year old niece is in town, and likes it too, a lot. Now I'm struggling where to take her now that the "pizza wars" have begun in Udon. :lol:

Reminds me of years back when I was just reaching driving age there would be "gas wars" between the petroleum companies, or maybe it was started at the dealer level, but the result was the same... a good deal for the consumer. Gas, normally around 23 cents a gallon at the time, would drop to 17 or 18 cents. It even prompted old grandma to change her routine of only buying 5 gallons at a time to saying, "filler up"! We never could figure out why grandma only put 5 gallons in her '57 Chevy, with V8 engine! Maybe it was the residual effect of rationing during WWII. Sure wish I had that car today.

Flash forward to present day in Udon. I'm sure the pizza dough flippers will be busy tonight, but a word of caution to the public. I predict a sudden rise in the cost of tomatoes, and tomato products, as the supply will certainly be depleted soon!

We'll be busy today making shrimp "stock" for our Cajun Gumbo tomorrow. Should be ready about the time people are coming out of their pizza comas. ;)

Seriously, I hope everyone has a good time tonight, and no one gets hurt. :lol:

Come join us!

Bubba and Jun

choice-foods-udon
udonmap.com

Post by choice-foods-udon » October 17, 2014, 3:45 pm

IF YOU FEEL LIKE A PIZZA BUBBA YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS ARE MOST WELCOME TO JOIN US

REGARDS

TERRY
Chern Chim Quality Foods & Steak House : http://chernchim.com : https://www.facebook.com/chernchim.udon
Any questions call 042-241138

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » October 17, 2014, 6:05 pm

choice-foods-udon wrote:IF YOU FEEL LIKE A PIZZA BUBBA YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS ARE MOST WELCOME TO JOIN US

REGARDS

TERRY
Thanks for the invite, Terry. I think some of my friends are already there, or if not, they're coming. Unfortunately I can't leave Jun alone here tonight, but I'll definitely be by to try the pizza on another day. Good luck with the promotion.

Bubba

BigBubba
udonmap.com

CAJUN GUMBO @ Bubba's Bar & Grill (Sponsor)

Post by BigBubba » October 19, 2014, 11:02 am

Still have a few servings left, even after serving hundreds yesterday! ;) :lol: Good thing we bought those industrial size pots!

REMINDER: CLOSED TOMORROW (MONDAY). Tuesday we'll be open at noon for the VFW "American Social", serving spaghetti only.

JoeR
udonmap.com

Post by JoeR » October 19, 2014, 11:09 am

Bubba, I'm starving if I can get my lady out of the house, gumbo sounds great.

BigBubba
udonmap.com

CAJUN GUMBO @ Bubba's Bar & Grill (Sponsor)

Post by BigBubba » October 19, 2014, 11:13 am

JoeR wrote:Bubba, I'm starving if I can get my lady out of the house, gumbo sounds great.
Don't worry, Joe. I'll save an order for you.

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » October 19, 2014, 11:16 am

Great gumbo with cornbread. Plus it comes in a "Bubba" size serving. I could barely walk by the time I left and it wasn't from the beer, too much food but I couldn't stop.

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”