EPL 2015/16

General sports news and discussions.
747man
udonmap.com

New thread for next season EPL 2015/16

Post by 747man » August 18, 2015, 10:38 am

socksy wrote:Liverpool 1 Bournemouth 0

Less than convincing from Liverpool and to say Benteke's goal was very dubious is an understatement. Bournemouth gave a good account of themselves in what they thought was going to be a cauldron atmosphere. Far from it.
Dubious :roll: :roll: Understatement :-" :-" .......It WAS Bloody Offside,That's All needs to be said !!!!

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » August 19, 2015, 9:55 am

I was thinking from an officials perspective 747 - maybe they never saw the fact that the other Liverpool player attempted to connect with the ball before Benteke. Decisions like these can be the difference between success and failure for teams throughout the season. Video eveidence is long overdue and footage in the main could be scrutinised very quickly, unlike Union where several times a review is necessary due to the pile up of players and to see where the ball is and if it's been grounded.
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

botaknh
udonmap.com

Post by botaknh » August 19, 2015, 10:49 am

And according to Shearer is was at the Kop end so NOT offside

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 19, 2015, 10:57 am

botaknh wrote:And according to Shearer is was at the Kop end so NOT offside
Of Course NOT Many Referees would have the Balls to rule out a "Goal " at Analfield, Especially at The GobShite End .....Hey Dezz ????

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » August 19, 2015, 11:15 am

I think whilst John Terry still has some respect he should move on to a club like for examle in Turkey. He has lost what pace he had and is a shadow of his former self. Ferdinand done it in going to QPR where he was found out even more.
Alba gu bràth

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 19, 2015, 11:35 am

socksy wrote:I think whilst John Terry still has some respect he should move on to a club like for examle in Turkey. He has lost what pace he had and is a shadow of his former self. Ferdinand done it in going to QPR where he was found out even more.
I Reckon that's why Stevie G Went to The U.S....... :lol: :lol:

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » August 19, 2015, 1:04 pm

Couldn't agree more - yes you are still playing at a good level but not to the same standard , but at the same time improving the League there and passing on their knowledge. Not to mention better standard of living I would suspect, and your pockets being well lined. Robbie Keane is a prime example and still playing for the ROI.
Alba gu bràth

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » August 21, 2015, 2:28 pm

Unbeaten Everton, the best scouser team, at home to the best team from Manchester this weekend. Nuff said. 8)
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

dezzer
udonmap.com

Post by dezzer » August 21, 2015, 2:36 pm

The Toffees playing Accrington Stanley this week-end :-k
You'll Never Walk Alone L.F.C.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 22, 2015, 8:16 am

fixtures.png

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 22, 2015, 9:28 am

Premier League admits error made in allowing Christian Benteke goal

Christian Benteke's winner for Liverpool against Bournemouth on Monday should not have stood, the Premier League has confirmed.

His first goal for the Reds was awarded despite team-mate Philippe Coutinho being in an offside position.

The offside rule was amended this summer to emphasise players need not touch the ball to be ruled offside.

The Premier League has now written to all top-flight clubs clarifying the new interpretations of the rule.

Cherries boss Eddie Howe had earlier contacted referees' chief Mike Riley seeking clarification.

He had described the new regulations as "a grey area" following the 1-0 defeat at Anfield.

The rules state: "A player in an offside position shall be penalised if he; 1. Clearly attempts to play a ball which is close to him when this action impacts on an opponent or; 2. Makes an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball."

In the incident in question, Benteke turned in a deep cross from Jordan Henderson at the far post after the ball flew past a clearly offside Coutinho, but referee Craig Pawson whistled for a goal.

The League's statement used stills from the match to illustrate the rules and underneath it said: "Expected outcome: Offside offence."
So, if Bournemouth get relegated by 1 point (or, even worse, goal difference) will the League send them down & maybe risk the club going to law??
Equally, if Pool qualify for Europe by 2 points will affected clubs pursue the matter???

Maybe the sooner they bring in life TV reviews (1 per team, per half, unless upheld ??) the better for all concerned...

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 22, 2015, 10:40 am

But for those of us that had Benteke as captain in our Fantasy Football team,it looked a clear goal..... :-$

Its a difficult one because referees are always going to make mistakes but if it results in a goal maybe there should be some sort of referral process in place.

Pick of the matches tonight....United v The Toon at 6.45pm Thai and Leicester v The Spuds at 9pm Thai,readers. =;
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » August 22, 2015, 3:10 pm

BobHelm wrote: So, if Bournemouth get relegated by 1 point (or, even worse, goal difference) will the League send them down & maybe risk the club going to law??
Equally, if Pool qualify for Europe by 2 points will affected clubs pursue the matter???

Maybe the sooner they bring in life TV reviews (1 per team, per half, unless upheld ??) the better for all concerned...
I imagine you're tongue in cheek there Bob if you think decisions are going to be reversed. Blimey, the queue could be a mile long!
Isn't it time they started trials of TV reviews, if this hasn't already happened? I understand the concern about taking the 'power' and 'judgement' away from the referee, but clearly they need help. Other sports are able to use technology and an independent reviewer(s) quickly. I'm not sure there needs to be a limit on 'appeals' per half/game, just common sense by a captain. We're a couple of games into the season and already quite a few 'situations' have arisen. I'll be the first to say Norwich against Palace were extremely unlucky to have what would have been an equaliser disallowed for dangerous play. Then, if Palace used up some luck at Norwich, it deserted them when an Arsenal player should have received a second yellow - and didn't! It might have affected the result. It took ages to get the resistance to using goal technology changed and the system appears to work great. How long before football, at least at the higher levels(extra costs are involved) gets 'with it'?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 22, 2015, 3:36 pm

Yes, of course Brian... :D

But there are some owners who might consider taking legal action, especially as the 'authorities' have admitted that an error was made that cost a side points. If (as is the nature of things in football) the 'authorities' could show that the same side benefited for a similar incident in the season as well then just maybe they would not need to alter the result.

Sport is getting more & more involved with the law courts (the deflate a gate American Football a case at the moment) & there are such huge sums of money involved between Premiership/Championship & Europe/no Europe that an under pressure owner might well be tempted..

However I fully agree with you that Football has to get on with all the technical help possible for referees.

Cricket & Tennis have got it spot on I feel (it is surprising, to me, just how often Umpires get it correct in cricket in 'real time') but both have 'natural breaks in the action.
Rugby seems to refer just about every score to the 'panel' &, although it can be difficult with 10 players covering the ball at the same time. I do think has probably not got it right yet.

I do think that you would have to be careful about unlimited appeals as an unscrupulous side could use it to disrupt a game that they were being outplayed in...

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » August 22, 2015, 4:43 pm

Great, lets have retrospective decision making...Leeds won the league in 1971 when referee Ray Tinkler wrongly allowed a WBA offside goal, we won the ECWC when a Greek ref was subsequently banned from refereeing after his performance in the final against Milan and, as all LUFC fans know, we won the European Cup in 1975, MOT

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 22, 2015, 8:57 pm

ANDY, Go & Have a few more Red Horses.........0-0 With The Toon at Home.....OMG !!

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 22, 2015, 9:17 pm

The first 15 minutes I thought United were gonna blow Newcastle away but then Mitrovic hit the bar and it was even stevens in an entertaining game after that.
Rooney foraging in his own half and he's the main striker :( thats where Uniteds problems lie.
Charlie Austin available at a snip of 15m.....stick him in the penalty area and he knows where the goal is....but its a price way beyond that of Merseysides third club ! ;)
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 22, 2015, 9:43 pm

Zidane wrote:The first 15 minutes I thought United were gonna blow Newcastle away but then Mitrovic hit the bar and it was even stevens in an entertaining game after that.
Rooney foraging in his own half and he's the main striker :( thats where Uniteds problems lie.
Charlie Austin available at a snip of 15m.....stick him in the penalty area and he knows where the goal is....but its a price way beyond that of Merseysides third club ! ;)
Maybe,Just Maybe !!! :lol: :lol:

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » August 22, 2015, 10:14 pm

Louis Louis Louis.
For once in the game please show a bit of passion.
Do what every other manager does when things aren't going to plan and get in to the technical area and get stuck in to your players.
50 games or so now and I can not think of one occasion when LvG has shown his ability to change the game or to even just show a bit of passion.
Unable to break down a defence that will struggle to stay in the league and what does the boss man do........sit on his backside, legs crossed, smug & arrogant look on his face.

British record signing comes and goes with only one moment of magic to show for his stay.
2 top class goal keepers both out of the squad despite claims they want to play, contradicting LvGs reports.
Another farcical display on the transfer market this week.
Our main man up front looking so so out of touch
A lot of problems at United right now and LvG is right in the middle of them.
I will reiterate my feelings when he arrived, United will not win anything whilst he remains in charge.

Now getting off my soap box and back to my beer.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 23, 2015, 7:48 am

score.png
score.png (16.19 KiB) Viewed 815 times
Any comment by me about the early game would just be a bitter & twisted 'I told you so' - so better if I make none.. :(
fixtures.png

Return to “World Sports”