Used iPhone

tamada
udonmap.com

Used iPhone

Post by tamada » September 19, 2023, 9:34 pm

My oldest lad needs a new phone and peer pressure suggests that an iPhone is what he should have. He's smart enough to know that the newest ones are about the same price as a Suzuki Swift so he will be happy with whatever is the "best" used, older model. My mate at my work who keeps up with iPhone stuff says the iPhone 10 is probably what he needs. He also says that for best value, check out the local official iPhone store as their buy-back/trade-in business ensures a better quality, refurbished product and lower risk on your (murky) investment. He's from Singapore so maybe that advice doesn't apply here? Is there an official iPhone shop with such offers in Oodorn?

Any advice from the Oodorn iPhone users club on what's best will be greatly appreciated. I am sure lazada has oodles of them but provenance and warranty may be questionable. Don't they also need the proper charger?

Ta
tam

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Re: Used iPhone

Post by Stantheman » September 20, 2023, 12:53 am

For used Iphone look into the IPhone XR or if wanting a little better screen resolution try IPhone XS. My grandson has the XR and is happy using it, even though second hand.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 20, 2023, 1:08 pm

tamada wrote:
September 19, 2023, 9:34 pm
My mate at my work who keeps up with iPhone stuff says the iPhone 10 is probably what he needs. He also says that for best value, check out the local official iPhone store as their buy-back/trade-in business ensures a better quality, refurbished product and lower risk on your (murky) investment. He's from Singapore so maybe that advice doesn't apply here? Is there an official iPhone shop with such offers in Oodorn?
There is no refurbished Apple Store in Thailand. Singapore does have one, there are no iPhones available there. The U.K. has one, the iPhone 12 is the oldest, it is the same in the USA. All refurbished stores are exclusively online there are no retail stores.
There is no iPhone 10 they are 9, X, 11, 12 etc
The iPhone X is 6 years old it is going to become unsupported soon it probably will not get iOS 18 so is a poor choice unless you only want a short lifespan or he is likely to be careless.

The oldest model I would look for is a 12 (still available refurbished in the states and U.K.) or possibly an iPhone 11

A refurbished iPhone is indistinguishable from new.(EDIT apart from price and packaging)

There are many used phones available in central for many prices, do not get a 64Gb version the memory is just to limited, 128 is the sweet spot.

Any good quality charger will do, don’t buy no name ones they are probably unreliable or unsafe. A used Apple charger is great the build quality matches the price, otherwise IKEA, Anker, Rocoren, Baseus, are all OK (I have chargers from all of them). Unless it’s branded from them don’t by used. DO NOT BUY CHEAP
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on September 20, 2023, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » September 20, 2023, 1:41 pm

I agree with Whistler, you don't really want to go older than a 12 if you want it to still get latest updates for a few more years yet.
iPhone do get slower when they are no longer supported.

BTW the iPhone X is meant to be pronounced 10, so technically there is an iPhone 10 :razz:

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » September 20, 2023, 2:39 pm

Granddaughter just bought an iPhone 12 in Udon. 22900 baht.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 20, 2023, 10:11 pm

I appreciate all the info and advice.

Ta
tam
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 21, 2023, 7:13 am

deankham wrote:
September 20, 2023, 1:41 pm
BTW the iPhone X is meant to be pronounced 10, so technically there is an iPhone 10 :razz:
If you wish to be accurate colloquially there is an iPhone 10.

Technically there is no iPhone 10
:razz: :razz: :razz:
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Tennyson
udonmap.com

Post by Tennyson » September 21, 2023, 9:11 am

There are a number of shops and stalls on the 1st floor of Tukcom Plaza (Landmark) in Udon that stock discontinued, older and even secondhand iPhones.

Same in Central Plaza on the first floor although there are fewer available but still worth looking at.

The prices are ok. Hopefully they’re the real thing and not Chinese fakes. The only way to tell is to go there.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 21, 2023, 10:39 am

Tennyson wrote:
September 21, 2023, 9:11 am
There are a number of shops and stalls on the 1st floor of Tukcom Plaza (Landmark) in Udon that stock discontinued, older and even secondhand iPhones.

Same in Central Plaza on the first floor although there are fewer available but still worth looking at.

The prices are ok. Hopefully they’re the real thing and not Chinese fakes. The only way to tell is to go there.
While the Chinese fakes do exist it is not so difficult to check if you can actually test the phone and it is not very likely that a shop will knowingly sell a fake.

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » September 22, 2023, 9:09 am

If you buy used keep in mind that apple stops providing software updates at around the 6 year mark.

I bought a iPhone SE in 2020. No problems and still working like new.

See here to compare models:
https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/?m ... n,iphone-X
UFF DA!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 22, 2023, 10:22 am

Jello wrote:
September 22, 2023, 9:09 am
If you buy used keep in mind that apple stops providing software updates at around the 6 year mark.

I bought a iPhone SE in 2020. No problems and still working like new.

See here to compare models:
https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/?m ... n,iphone-X
Point of correction, the approximate life from introduction to stopping of new iOS versions is a bit longer, usually 7 to 8 years, and even when the new iOS versions are not available security updates are often still available.

However as @jello said they are usually supported by apps like banking etc for at least 1 to 2 older versions

Also quite probably a point of confusion is that unless @jello bought a used iPhone SE or bought it early in the year, they probably actually got an iPhone SE (2)

The iPhone SE does not get iOS 17
The iPhone SE (2) does get iOS 17 (I have one)
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on September 22, 2023, 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » September 22, 2023, 10:54 am

My wife is an Apple lemming. I was stupid enough to let her talk me into buying an iPhone. I bought a new iPhone 10 and hated it from the first day I set it up. It wanted to do everything automatically for me. By the phone doing EVERYTHING, it needed to be charged every day. My wife's nephew is a phone destroyer and destroyed every phone he ever had. I used the iPhone for a year thinking I would eventually get used to it. After suffering for a year or so I gave it to the phone destroyer. The phone is tough, I'll give it that. Other than shattering the screen, he is still using it.

I replaced the iPhone with a Nokia G50 and I am very happy with it. It does everything a phone is supposed to do and does everything well. I charge it once a week. Do the kid a favor and buy him a mid priced Android phone.

Return to “I'm Looking For....”