April/May electric bill

General Udon Thani topics only!
tamada
udonmap.com

April/May electric bill

Post by tamada » May 22, 2024, 11:24 am

With last month's heat and four aircon getting more use, there was no big surprise in the 2000 baht jump in our electric bill, about a 20% increase. However, Mrs tam was commenting on some neighbors with typically lower monthly tariff than us are seeing a 50% jump in their Apr/May bill. The local mom-and-pop shop for example. I guess they crossed the threshold somewhere?

Mind you, contrary to my advice (passed via Mrs tam) last month, mom-and-pop have started unplugging their two, glass-fronted fridges when they closed around 9 pm and turning them back on when they opened around 6 am. Mrs tam twigged to this first when she noticed her normally arctic-cold can of early evening Leo wasn't quite as arctic as before. Now we insist they put ice in the plastic bag when we buy it.

As far as I can see, the magical 'fT' rate didn't change between last bill and this one.

Anyone else had a "shocker"?

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Re: April/May electric bill

Post by Bandung_Dero » May 22, 2024, 3:16 pm

Fully expected as the average daily high temp in Udon (weather station at the airport) was 40.33 DegC for April.
We had the highest bill ever!!! Although not too bad as compared to others 3450 Baht. 3 x A/Cs, chest freezer (30 cu ft) and a large refrigerator/freezer.
IMHO it is false economy to turn off a fridge to save power. Hard to bring my Leo home in a carton full of ice. 55555
Attachments
Udon Temp.jpg
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » May 22, 2024, 3:41 pm

Most expensive month ever up 25% on the previous month
next month should be a relieve guessing down 40-50% due to several factors

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » May 22, 2024, 4:04 pm

tamada wrote:
May 22, 2024, 11:24 am
there was no big surprise in the 2000 baht jump in our electric bill, about a 20% increase.

Tam, you saying your bill was 12K Baht??? That is a shocker, you powering the whole moobaan?
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 22, 2024, 5:25 pm

I really do not believe the comments on here regarding the Electricity Bills, notwithstanding a slight increase in some charges it was only to be expected considering the increased HEAT

BTW Galss fronted or glass topped fridges and freezers are the most expensive to run, rather than turn them off pl;acing thick cardboard over the glass will minimise the loss of temperature inside, always FALSE economy to turn off and on as you then have to re-chill the contents ./
I expect mine will be an increase of some 20 /-25% due to excessive use of Air con

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 23, 2024, 6:29 am

Bandung_Dero wrote:
May 22, 2024, 4:04 pm
tamada wrote:
May 22, 2024, 11:24 am
there was no big surprise in the 2000 baht jump in our electric bill, about a 20% increase.

Tam, you saying your bill was 12K Baht??? That is a shocker, you powering the whole moobaan?
No, it wasn't 12k.

But I do have two squatters that are incapable of using A) the timer on the aircon remote, or B) turning it off when it's too cold (they pull another blanket up). Accordingly, aircon remote (and blankets) have been confiscated.

Fuggem!
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » May 23, 2024, 11:30 am

Just got my bill.
It has gone up from usually 3700 - 4000 baht to 5843 baht.

I checked the units I have used and they have gone up from 658 last month to 826 this month.
Normally without aircon and the usual fans I use about 250 t0 300 units. (It is shown on the bill which shows each month back to Nov. last year)'

Seeing how I have not used electric appliances any different from last month (same aircon use 1 off) but a lot of fans.
The only explanation I can guess is that the have changed the rate the meter registers at.

I would think they would have a link or something in the meter to change the rate the meter goes at.
Very easy for someone to change and you would not know it had been done.

Seeing how they are not smart meters it would have to be done physically.
That's my theory as to the huge increase.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » May 23, 2024, 7:27 pm

our bill this month is 4.131 baht compared to last month 3.590 baht , due to the extreme hot weather and more use of the aircon ....so for 500 baht more i will not lose any sweat :D , when temperatures go down below 28C at night ,we will not need any aircon ,as we have a very good ceiling fan .... ;)

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 24, 2024, 9:16 am

My electric is ap[prox 1000 mop0re , linked to Ceiling fans being on 24/ 7 and for Two weeks bedroom Air-con being on for 6 hours instead of two. Acceptable as a one off increase, not complaining.

The post about increase in electricity bill, that happened to me and to the extent I changed t5o low energy light bulbs, only used fans etc. Reported fact to PEA, they obviously checked and replaced the meter which apparently had malfunctioned. I did supply usage for the p[revious six months which showed and increase in cost but not usage . PEA actually can monitor this electronically and sometimes they pick up the abnormal fluctuations but not all the time so a prod will make them check.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » May 24, 2024, 1:20 pm

Just under 6K. Would have been more if my stepson hadn't been away for 3 weeks.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 24, 2024, 6:30 pm

Our electric bill in Khon Kaen was 2,000 baht a huge leap from the 800 baht paid in April.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » May 24, 2024, 9:39 pm

Checked with wife, latest bill 1,800 baht. Doesn't run the 2 A/C's during day and normally shut off by 3am plus sets temp on A/C to 26c or 27c with wall fans going.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 25, 2024, 9:08 am

Stantheman wrote:
May 24, 2024, 9:39 pm
Checked with wife, latest bill 1,800 baht. Doesn't run the 2 A/C's during day and normally shut off by 3am plus sets temp on A/C to 26c or 27c with wall fans going.
We have three air conditioners. one in the two bedrooms and one in the living room. Like you, we just have the bedroom one on at night. It's kept on all night I like the temperature between 19-21 degrees. My wife prefers 22-24. During the heat wave, we turned on the living room one (the other two were off) on around 11 a.m. or noon at 22 degrees. If my wife was out, I would lower the temperature. We also have a floor fan in the living room that is usually on from about 8 in the morning to the end of the day. I like cooler temperatures.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 26, 2024, 2:10 am

Khun Paul wrote:
May 22, 2024, 5:25 pm
I really do not believe the comments on here regarding the Electricity Bills, notwithstanding a slight increase in some charges it was only to be expected considering the increased HEAT

BTW Galss fronted or glass topped fridges and freezers are the most expensive to run, rather than turn them off pl;acing thick cardboard over the glass will minimise the loss of temperature inside, always FALSE economy to turn off and on as you then have to re-chill the contents ./
I expect mine will be an increase of some 20 /-25% due to excessive use of Air con
So Paul are you saying some UM members are lying ? .. bad form old chap !!

Surely its common sense in the hot season people use more leccy with AC use , inturn this depends on how many occupants reside, their thoughts on saving power and a different persons idea of " expensive" .. its the same every year FFS its just unit prices have increased earlier in the cool season and noe being realized in the hotter months ..

Governmental /PEA management at its best to soften the blow ..

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 26, 2024, 10:37 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
May 26, 2024, 2:10 am
Khun Paul wrote:
May 22, 2024, 5:25 pm

So Paul are you saying some UM members are lying ? .. bad form old chap !!

Surely its common sense in the hot season people use more leccy with AC use , inturn this depends on how many occupants reside, their thoughts on saving power and a different persons idea of " expensive" .. its the same every year FFS its just unit prices have increased earlier in the cool season and noe being realized in the hotter months ..

Governmental /PEA management at its best to soften the blow ..

DM
[Redacted] I stated that Glass fronted Fridges and freezers are far more expensive and that utilising cardboard between the door / top is beneficial. Also stated that it is to be expected bills are up and no where did I insinuate that I suggested posters are lying [Redacted]

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 26, 2024, 10:51 am

My wife's electric bill averages over 8,000 baht every month. Most of that is because of her 3 phase 13 HP rice mill. Fortunately or maybe unfortunately the big bed room air conditioner died, likely from a very close lightning strike. The house shook and scared the hell out of me. If it was a lightening strike, I was lucky because nothing else was affected. We have been sleeping with only a fan now so that air con was no longer adding to the electric bill.

My computer, router and surveillance camera system all run off solar power so they are somewhat protected.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » May 27, 2024, 7:25 am

On my April bill, the usage was 861, then on my May bill the usage was EXACTLY the same. How can that possibly be? It's highly unlikely that the bills could be identical. That has never happened in 14 years. April had 24 days over 100 degrees, and May had only 12. The Tessaban installed new "smart" meters a few months ago, and my theory is that the home office fixed the meter to read the same as April since that is the hottest month of the year, and it gives them an opportunity to scam the homeowner and make a good profit for the month if they can duplicate the usage in a cooler month. Prove me wrong!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » May 27, 2024, 11:04 am

semperfiguy wrote:
May 27, 2024, 7:25 am
On my April bill, the usage was 861, then on my May bill the usage was EXACTLY the same. How can that possibly be? It's highly unlikely that the bills could be identical. That has never happened in 14 years. April had 24 days over 100 degrees, and May had only 12. The Tessaban installed new "smart" meters a few months ago, and my theory is that the home office fixed the meter to read the same as April since that is the hottest month of the year, and it gives them an opportunity to scam the homeowner and make a good profit for the month if they can duplicate the usage in a cooler month. Prove me wrong!
You could be on to some thing there Sir, We had the Meter replaced a couple of months ago, followed by a Spike in the Bill.
I'll have to get the old bills out and do the sums.
It wouldn't surprise me, some ones gotta pay for the new meters.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”