new tax for all foreigners...

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
kopkei
udonmap.com

new tax for all foreigners...

Post by kopkei » June 5, 2024, 2:20 pm

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: new tax for all foreigners...

Post by tamada » June 5, 2024, 2:51 pm

Maybe with this edict, the penny will drop with the sour faced "Mrs Cannot" at the Udon tax office when I try and apply for a Thailand TIN.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 5, 2024, 4:19 pm

tamada wrote:
June 5, 2024, 2:51 pm
Maybe with this edict, the penny will drop with the sour faced "Mrs Cannot" at the Udon tax office when I try and apply for a Thailand TIN.
Did you get one?

It will be interesting how the revenue office intends to assess worldwide income, how will they know how much I earn in roubles in Moscow?
Best being part of this forum by placing the intellectual challenged on foes list. A lot less post to read and a great time saver.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » June 5, 2024, 4:45 pm

This will be interesting for U.S. citizens. In the U.S., you get a tax credit for taxes paid to a foreign government. Someone is undoubtedly going to figure out a way to optimize taxes between Thailand and the U.S. so as to minimize them.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » June 5, 2024, 5:14 pm

Whistler wrote:
June 5, 2024, 4:19 pm
tamada wrote:
Did you get one?

It will be interesting how the revenue office intends to assess worldwide income, how will they know how much I earn in roubles in Moscow?
You are expected to declare it. Otherwise you could be caught for tax evasion.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 5, 2024, 6:24 pm

Personally, I have never met a soul who alerts the tax authorities about income that comes from an untraceable source, begging to pay more tax, your experience may be different to mine.

The Thai revenue department might pray to Buddha that everybody is breaking their necks to pay more tax, but somehow I think they are whistling dixie
Best being part of this forum by placing the intellectual challenged on foes list. A lot less post to read and a great time saver.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 5, 2024, 7:58 pm

Is the recipient of the income also "untraceable"?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 5, 2024, 9:22 pm

Whistler wrote:
June 5, 2024, 4:19 pm
tamada wrote:
Did you get one?

Almost! It was earlier in the year after my UK offshore bank started getting more hard-nosed about proving I lived here by getting a TIN. I posted the tale in an earlier thread about Thai tax but basically, after scooting to the highest desk jockey in the local office, the chief jockey said "cannot" unless I fill in the tax form in their office and assess my tax liability and pay any monies owed FIRST. Only AFTER that bullschizzle, she said they'd tell me my TIN. I demurred at that point and politely excused myself as my hokum detector was already in the red.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 5, 2024, 9:28 pm

Whistler wrote:
June 5, 2024, 6:24 pm
Personally, I have never met a soul who alerts the tax authorities about income that comes from an untraceable source, begging to pay more tax, your experience may be different to mine.

The Thai revenue department might pray to Buddha that everybody is breaking their necks to pay more tax, but somehow I think they are whistling dixie
To be more precise, it's PM and Finance Minister Srettha that's singing for his supper on this tax grab. The initial enactment and subsequent tweaks have come from his FM desk. Maybe that's why he seems to be unpopular with some parties who run in the Thai corridors of power? The foreigners are low-hanging fruit in this palaver. There's some real hi-so family names that probably don't agree with doing all that the OECD demands?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Pikolim
udonmap.com

Post by Pikolim » June 6, 2024, 3:08 am

Whistler wrote:
June 5, 2024, 6:24 pm

It's genuine that announcing salary from untraceable sources can be a complex issue. Whereas a few may be proactive in guaranteeing charge compliance, others may not be as prospective. It's a nuanced circumstance, and person encounters can shift.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 6, 2024, 10:42 am

After reading the Press release in the BKK Post, most people on here should not worry too much unless of course you are a tax exile from your own country and DO NOT PASY tax anywhere. Those expats who reside here being one of the 61 countries with agreements with Thailand MAY ..have a little bill if any.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 6, 2024, 11:27 am

The Bangkok Post suggests there is confusion over whether or not pension income from another country brought into the Kingdom will be taxed or not.
Expats in Thailand, meanwhile, have raised questions about tax treatment of pension income from past employment when that money is brought into Thailand. If this money is taxed in their home country and that country is one of the 61 that have agreements with Thailand to prevent double taxation, in theory there should be no problem. But debates about interpretation of the law are ongoing.

Please credit and share this article with others using this link: https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/ge ... come-rules. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Bangkok Post PCL. All rights reserved.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » June 7, 2024, 6:28 pm

so? who is debating the quite clear specifics of the Dual Taxation treaties??
Dave

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » June 7, 2024, 9:21 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
June 7, 2024, 6:28 pm
so? who is debating the quite clear specifics of the Dual Taxation treaties??
The Thai Revenue Department is. They might interpret things differently.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » June 8, 2024, 6:45 am

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 8, 2024, 10:58 am

The bottom line after all the rhetoric spouted by the Thai Government which as usual falls short on providing any en=actable policy , today many Financial Gurus and even Thai accountants have zero idea what is occurring legislative wise. So any advice is currently pure guesswork.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 8, 2024, 12:49 pm

Those of us impacted can sit like startled rabbits in the headlight until the Thai Revenue truck mows us down, or can plan now for the worst case scenario.

Cambodia

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 8, 2024, 1:07 pm

Whistler wrote:
June 8, 2024, 12:49 pm
Those of us impacted can sit like startled rabbits in the headlight until the Thai Revenue truck mows us down, or can plan now for the worst case scenario.

Cambodia
Insert lemmings jumping off a cliff meme [here]
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 8, 2024, 2:52 pm

A multi-entry Cambodian retirement visa is USD293.

For info.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 8, 2024, 5:08 pm

tamada wrote:
June 5, 2024, 9:22 pm
<snip>
Only AFTER that bullschizzle, she said they'd tell me my TIN. I demurred at that point and politely excused myself as my hokum detector was already in the red.
Only after reading this I remembered I had a TIN from 2001 to end 2003. It was transparent in those days, I had a Thai Work Permit through John Stamp (now JST Group) and Chevron. An agreed amount would be payed in Baht and tax applied, between them and the tax office. Never effected my contracted day rate (USD) and I never had to do a tax return.
Wondering if that TIN is still applicable?
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”