Visiting Cambodia

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Re: Visiting Cambodia

Post by Fuzzy Ken » July 11, 2024, 9:25 am

Just to confirm

Lucky Lucky Moto is indeed almost opposite Street 184

They are at #413EO on Monivong Blvd. and their phone number is 012 279 990, although better to pay them a visit.

There is/was a similar business to their left, so if you require Lucky Lucky Moto, make sure you visit the right one.

https://fuzzykensblog.com for our comprehensive Phnom Penh Guide

Pikolim
udonmap.com

Post by Pikolim » July 24, 2024, 5:16 pm

The new digital system for Cambodia sounds like a significant change! It's good to know about this ahead of time. Make sure to register at least 7 days before your arrival to avoid any last-minute issues. The site you mentioned, arrival.gov.kh, should be your go-to for the latest details and the app download.

By the way, if you’re looking for a smooth travel experience, I recently stayed at https://www.westgateresorts.com/hotels/missouri/branson/ and it was great. They had a straightforward check-in process and a helpful staff, which made the whole stay hassle-free.
Last edited by Pikolim on July 27, 2024, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 24, 2024, 5:21 pm

My mate will be visiting Thailand in December on a 56-day vacation. He plans on a 10-day trip to Cambodia while he's here.

Can he get a re-entry permit on his initial Thailand 60-day visa-exempt entry or just leave and re-enter on another 60-day visa exempt entry?

Ta
tam
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 24, 2024, 11:18 pm

Haven't looked at the detail yet, but think this has been going for a couple of years

CM2H (1).png
pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » July 25, 2024, 10:54 am

By way of confirmation, almost all visitors need a visa to enter Cambodia. This can be obtained by most nationalities on arrival (VOA) or on line.

Separate from this, everyone, including Cambodian Nationals, must complete the new “arrival card” within 7 days of arrival whether or not they are in possession of a visa. This replaces the paper form, often handed to travelers on the flight or bus, etc. The arrival card is available via an app and includes a customs declaration.

As far as I can tell, those who do not have a smartphone to acquire the arrival card app, can deal with it on arrival, with the assistance of immigration staff. Those requiring a visa will then need to line up at the visa counter.

As this is a brand new system, I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has visited Cambodia after the 1st July 24

Thanks, Fuzzyken

Pope Willie

Post by Pope Willie » July 25, 2024, 12:10 pm

Fuzzyken,

I went in and out of Cambodia, arrived July 19th and left July 22nd.
I crossed and exited at the Aranyaprathet/Poi Pet border checkpoint. I had gotten the eVisa and eArrival QR code prior to crossing.

When I crossed and returned the eVisa was fine but even though I gave the eArrival to them---it was not used. They just gave it back. Instead, I had to fill out the usual small arrival form, which they stamped and which I used upon departure. Here's what they told me, "use the eArrival when coming in through an airport". Again, (at that time) they were not interested in the eArrival that I had gotten online.

That was my experience at that crossing.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 25, 2024, 5:21 pm

tamada wrote:
July 24, 2024, 5:21 pm
My mate will be visiting Thailand in December on a 56-day vacation. He plans on a 10-day trip to Cambodia while he's here.

Can he get a re-entry permit on his initial Thailand 60-day visa-exempt entry or just leave and re-enter on another 60-day visa exempt entry?

Ta
tam
You can get a re-entry permit for any permission to stay. The re-entry permit is about double the size of an re-entry stamp and so might take up as little as ⅓ of a page or as much as a complete page depending on the IO stamping it.

For your friend, assuming he is not returning via PoiPet Aranyaprathet (probably one of the worst border points, though admittedly is the visa runners who have the most problems, so even there he’s probably OK), it makes no sense paying 2,000 to immigration as he will get at least a 30 visa exempt (I’m not sure if land borders are giving 30 or 60 day stamps) at no cost and ½ the size of the re-entry stamp.

If he’s flying back there is no question.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » July 26, 2024, 10:03 am

How many times can you enter Thailand with a visa waiver?
There is no set entry limit for visitors entering Thailand by air, but visitors who enter Thailand by land or sea border and hold normal (non-diplomatic) passports will be granted visa-free travel to Thailand only twice per calendar year.... ;)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 26, 2024, 12:39 pm

kopkei wrote:
July 26, 2024, 10:03 am
There is no set entry limit for visitors entering Thailand by air, but visitors who enter Thailand by land or sea border and hold normal (non-diplomatic) passports will be granted visa-free travel to Thailand only twice per calendar year.... ;)
According to the Aseannow forum's visa experts, and confirmed by a member who asked a Thai immigration officer at a recent land border re-entry, the old, unpublished but enforced "only 2 non-exempt entry per year" has been scrapped. Land borders are the same as airports now. However, this isn't a carte blanche for the long-time lurkers who don't want to get the visa that they are either qualified or entitled to obtain. If they see back-to-back visa exempt attempts, they can still exercise their discretion, ask questions, make notes on their database or, worst-case, deny entry.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » July 26, 2024, 1:19 pm

New Cambodian high speed train meets the real Cambodia.
Attachments
train meets cables.jpg
train meets cables 2.jpg

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 26, 2024, 2:36 pm

Yes, as a country, Cambodia still has a long way to go.

But as a city Phnom Penh is catching up in terms of lifestyle, when compared to its neighboring Capitals

If one likes the pace, vibrance, daily congestion and cost of living of Bangkok then one should stay in Bangkok. Same for Ho Chi Minh or Hanoi.

However, if you want to step back a bit in time from the pace of Bangkok, then Phnom Penh currently provides you that option. :-k :-k \:D/ It may not be for everyone.

pipoz4444

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 27, 2024, 7:46 pm

tamada wrote:
July 26, 2024, 12:39 pm
kopkei wrote:
July 26, 2024, 10:03 am
According to the Aseannow forum's visa experts, and confirmed by a member who asked a Thai immigration officer at a recent land border re-entry, the old, unpublished but enforced "only 2 non-exempt entry per year" has been scrapped. Land borders are the same as airports now. However, this isn't a carte blanche for the long-time lurkers who don't want to get the visa that they are either qualified or entitled to obtain. If they see back-to-back visa exempt attempts, they can still exercise their discretion, ask questions, make notes on their database or, worst-case, deny entry.
The official government announcement is at
https://thailand.prd.go.th/en/content/c ... iid/306599
The increased (91) number of countries is under, also a government pdf
VOA.pdf
(504.52 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » July 28, 2024, 10:11 am

Good morning everyone

Let’s get back on track, and I don’t mean the trains. This thread is about going to Cambodia not wrestling with the immigration rules for entering the land of smiles.

We all have different requirements, often dictated by health, finance, and personal issues, but what I like about Cambodia, after 14 years in Thailand, is the lack of annoying niggles with immigration. As a retired person, I have an annual retirement visa for $295, which is a little under 11000 Thai Baht, which automatically is multi-entry. No checking in every 90 days, hand drawing maps of where you live, and providing a filing cabinet full of paperwork and photos to renew the visa, and not forgetting the TM this and TM that. I have better things to do in my twilight years.

Lots of information about Cambodia in my Phnom Penh Guide, please go to https://fuzzykensblog.com
Fuzzyken

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 28, 2024, 11:06 am

Ken, how easy is it to open a Cambodian bank account if you are just a regular visitor
Best being part of this forum by placing the intellectual challenged on foes list. A lot less post to read and a great time saver.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 28, 2024, 11:44 am

Whistler wrote:
July 28, 2024, 11:06 am
Ken, how easy is it to open a Cambodian bank account if you are just a regular visitor
Hi W,

If you go to the ABA Bank site it will give you the requirements.

ABB has a phone App which you can download and arguably open a Bank Account on line, until you get to the point where your need to enter your Cambodian National ID Number or Cambodian Passport Number, which tells me that as a Foreigner you will probably need to go into the Bank sit down with them in order to open an account.

But my reading of it so far is, that as a Foreigner you will need to have,
1.Annual Retirement Visa same as FK has
2.A local address or a Tenant Agreement to show that you reside in Cambodia

Plus the mandatory documents such as Passport etc.

I don't think as a Tourist, entering on a 30 Day Visit Visa, you can open a Bank Account

https://www.ababank.com/fixed-deposit/

pipoz4444

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 28, 2024, 11:55 am

Thanks pip, no ability to tap into 'special treatment' options?
Best being part of this forum by placing the intellectual challenged on foes list. A lot less post to read and a great time saver.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 28, 2024, 2:20 pm

Whistler wrote:
July 28, 2024, 11:55 am
Thanks pip, no ability to tap into 'special treatment' options?
There may be an option.

I intend to test it in 4 weeks time when I drop into the ABA with some cash in hand.

Will see how eager they are to help me as a Tourist

pipoz4444

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » July 28, 2024, 2:22 pm

Re. Bank accounts in Cambodia

You must have an address here confirmed by a rent contract and a long-term visa, such as retirement or employment.

In my experience, ABA is the most accommodating for foreign nationals but of course, you would have to visit the bank to discuss your needs. At that time they will be able to arrange a debit card and in my case, required a bank deposit of $100 to get the wheels in motion. It took 20 minutes to open the account and 7 days to provide the debit card. Once the account has been approved, you can download the app if required.

If I may say so, this is another example of a sensible approach. I recall, in Thailand, having to open a bank account to acquire a visa but the bank stated, after keeping me waiting for more than an hour, that I could only have a bank account if I had a visa

What more can one say ?
Fuzzyken

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » September 1, 2024, 11:55 pm

Fuzzy Ken wrote:
July 28, 2024, 2:22 pm
Re. Bank accounts in Cambodia

You must have an address here confirmed by a rent contract and a long-term visa, such as retirement or employment.

In my experience, ABA is the most accommodating for foreign nationals but of course, you would have to visit the bank to discuss your needs. At that time they will be able to arrange a debit card and in my case, required a bank deposit of $100 to get the wheels in motion. It took 20 minutes to open the account and 7 days to provide the debit card. Once the account has been approved, you can download the app if required.

If I may say so, this is another example of a sensible approach. I recall, in Thailand, having to open a bank account to acquire a visa but the bank stated, after keeping me waiting for more than an hour, that I could only have a bank account if I had a visa

What more can one say ?
Fuzzyken
Popped into the ABA Banks in Phnom Penh, to inquire about opening an account as a Foreigner.

Girls spoke English, both very cute. They said, that I would just need to have a minimum six month Visa and with that I could open a Personal Savings Account and a Fixed Deposit Account.

Further inquires with an immigration gentlemen at the Phnom Penh Airport, he advised, that prior to entering Phnom Penh next time, I should obtain an on-line E Visa (through the Cambodian Government Application Portal) & Register (on-line). The same immigration gentlemen then said that, once I was given the E Visa, I would only need to pop over the the Cambodian Immigration Department directly opposite the Airport (I will need to check /verify this) and apply for my six month Business Visa.

According to the cute ABA girls, once I had my six month Business Visa and my passport in hand, I only needed to come back and see them and that they would oblige, with the desired Accounts and a Debit Card. They also stated that "there would be no need for proof of residency (i.e. Lease Agreement) in Cambodia" or anything else. Went to two ABA Bank Branches and both said the same. \:D/ \:D/

So it doesn't sound too complicated.

pipoz4444

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » September 4, 2024, 10:05 am

Thanks for the info.
In my experience, the authorities here in Cambodia, unlike some places I know, avoid “making a mountain out of a molehill” I look forward to hearing more about your visa and bank account experiences.
Good luck, Fuzzyken

Return to “Travel & Transport”