Wi-fi extender

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
tamada
udonmap.com

Wi-fi extender

Post by tamada » August 9, 2024, 10:13 am

The annex at the back if the property is complete but the wi-fi is weak since it's a fair distance from the 3BB router in the master bedroom and that can't be relocated. Anyone got a recommendation for a good quality wi-fi extender that supports 5Ghz as well as the slower 2.4 Ghz? Plenty generic or no-name devices on Lazada but seeking something that's reliable and does what it says on the tin.

Also, this will be connecting with the 3BB fiber router's wi-fi which is us made by Huawei. Does anyone know of possible compatibility issues? Depending on the ISP, some routers have bespoke firmware that blocks add-on hardware like other routers, access points and extenders. Not sure if 3BB does this or not.

Ta
tam

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: Wi-fi extender

Post by Whistler » August 9, 2024, 10:25 am

Is it possible to run a cat 5 cable?
Best being part of this forum by placing the intellectual challenged on foes list. A lot less post to read and a great time saver.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 9, 2024, 10:54 am

Whistler wrote:
August 9, 2024, 10:25 am
Is it possible to run a cat 5 cable?
The ideal solution but not really viable as that's something that needs to be done properly (by me). Otherwise, any failure or damage due to a local artisan's shoddy work would need repaired (by me). I avoided running a much shorter run of cat5 to my shed for the same reasons, ie. pushing 70, I'm not as good on ladders or crawling around in the loft as I (never) was.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » August 9, 2024, 1:51 pm

Get an able bodied young thai to dig a trench, several lengths of conduit to protect cat 5. The speed will be hugely superior to wifi, maybe as high as 5 times faster
Best being part of this forum by placing the intellectual challenged on foes list. A lot less post to read and a great time saver.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 9, 2024, 2:19 pm

Whistler wrote:
August 9, 2024, 1:51 pm
Get an able bodied young thai to dig a trench, several lengths of conduit to protect cat 5. The speed will be hugely superior to wifi, maybe as high as 5 times faster
I forgot to mention, life's too short? The trenching/conduit is the easy bit. It's the end bits where the local's resort to drilling holes in perfectly good walls and window frames, despite having conduit in the walls and ductwork in the attic that gets my goat. I'm not about paying a guy to listen to me telling him how to do it properly and then watch him cock it up.

I have cat5 in the shed... between the 4G/5G DTAC Thunder-driven modem and my toys. Plenty fast enough for a pensioner. For everyone else, there's wi-fi.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

gghh
udonmap.com

Post by gghh » August 10, 2024, 6:27 am

You need cat6 cable to support 5G wifi

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 10, 2024, 9:19 am

I have a 3BB fiber router in the master bedroom that runs 2.4 and 5G wi-fi. Nothing is connected via any sort of cat to anything. Since we have 5G wi-fi enabled smartphones and laptops in the annex, I need a 5G repeater.

Good tip on cat 6 though. I can change the very short cat 5 in the shed to cat 6 to improve my workstation experience later.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 10, 2024, 9:42 am

I suspect there is some confusion with terminology here.

Are we talking about 5G ethernet (Mbps), or 5GHz wifi?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 10, 2024, 10:10 am

jackspratt wrote:
August 10, 2024, 9:42 am
I suspect there is some confusion with terminology here.

Are we talking about 5G ethernet (Mbps), or 5GHz wifi?
Possibly and probably, but I am not confused. I know what I have, what I need and for recommendations thereof, ie. a wi-fi repeater that supports both 2.5 GHz and 5 GHz bands. I won't be running any cat cable to it, so a standalone wi-fi repeater/extender for the 2.5 GHz and 5 GHz wi-fi emanating from the 3BB f/o modem/router's built-in wi-fi.

There's plenty of the type that plugs into a wall socket and costs less than 1000 baht but are either no-name, low-name or that prolific Xiaomei that appear to make everything.

(I probably shouldn't have mentioned my 5G shed...)
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 10, 2024, 12:36 pm

tamada wrote:
August 9, 2024, 2:19 pm
Whistler wrote:
I forgot to mention, life's too short? The trenching/conduit is the easy bit. It's the end bits where the local's resort to drilling holes in perfectly good walls and window frames, despite having conduit in the walls and ductwork in the attic that gets my goat. I'm not about paying a guy to listen to me telling him how to do it properly and then watch him cock it up.

I have cat5 in the shed... between the 4G/5G DTAC Thunder-driven modem and my toys. Plenty fast enough for a pensioner. For everyone else, there's wi-fi.
Dont they use Duracel AAA batteries :lol:
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » August 10, 2024, 4:21 pm

i have connected a cat 8 cable (50m , 1.750 baht ) from our router to the home of our daughter to a sub router there,so they have free internet , the cable is most part in the floor in glued water pipes (1inch) , and it is working perfect ...leave your pienongs dig to put the pipe line :D , or otherwise maybe this ? https://www.lazada.co.th/products/wavli ... gLHp_D_BwE as info .. ;)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 10, 2024, 4:47 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
August 10, 2024, 12:36 pm
tamada wrote:
August 9, 2024, 2:19 pm
Whistler wrote:

Dont they use Duracel AAA batteries :lol:
Yup, much more easy than that car battery you lug around for yours.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 10, 2024, 4:56 pm

kopkei wrote:
August 10, 2024, 4:21 pm
i have connected a cat 8 cable (50m , 1.750 baht ) from our router to the home of our daughter to a sub router there,so they have free internet , the cable is most part in the floor in glued water pipes (1inch) , and it is working perfect ...leave your pienongs dig to put the pipe line :D , or otherwise maybe this ? https://www.lazada.co.th/products/wavli ... gLHp_D_BwE as info .. ;)
Cat8... nice. Too much bloody cement in our bit of paradise.

Have that gizmo on the Wishlist already. Looks like something that could be future-proof as well, with no need to dig up the old. Maybe get two: one for the internet wi-fi and the other for my CCTV wi-fi.

Ta
tam
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”