tamada
udonmap.com

Re: TAX on Income from Abroad

Post by tamada » October 17, 2024, 6:11 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
October 17, 2024, 5:50 pm
Not burning any bridges :D :D

Just building some new ones \:D/ \:D/ /

Premature: Not sure, as my crystal ball will not show me how many years are left. But for sure the mobility clock is ticking (can feel it every day) and the number of years are slowly diminishing (one year at a time), so have decided to make the most what is left. :-k \:D/

pipoz44444
I was referring to the bank account closing. They were reasonably easy to open here until about 5 years ago. However, I know a few older guys who really had to pull the pin here and go back home to UK and the US. They had closed their home bank accounts a long, long time ago when Thailand was their planned Nirvana. Opening a new one when you've been in absentia for several decades can be a challenge.

But totally agree on the "mobility clock" so happy trails while you're being a bit more nomadic.

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 17, 2024, 6:22 pm

Hi T and I will retain Thailand as a base, just that I will spend some time elsewhere. Who knows I may still even apply for the Thai 12 Month Retirement Visa.

The one thing for sure is that we don't know what is around the corner once we approach or pass the 70 years of age, so best to keep all doors open. \:D/ \:D/

All those sports we played when we were young and all the bones we broke at the time, start to come home to haunt you in the later years. Combine that with general aging and a bit of arthritis thrown in for good measure, and moving around is not as easy as it way 10 years ago. :-k :-k

Regards

pipoz444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » October 18, 2024, 9:22 am

Interesting story from a friend who lives south of Phitsanulok.

He went to a local TRD office to get a TIN. No one else was there, so staff in the vicinity of his conversation were tuned in to his inquiry.

The interviewer checked his passport. The interviewer told him that he had a retirement visa and cannot work in Thailand. My friend was told he did not qualify.

My friend told them that he remitted pension every month various times through an ATM in Thailand. The interviewer told him that his home country currency doesn't count and that they are only interested in income from employment in Thailand and that he does not qualify for a TIN.

The staff in the vicinity nodded in agreement.

I can only deduce from this that different TRD offices will view this differently just as different immigration offices view situations differently. And of course, this is what is happening yesterday for him. It doesn't mean that it'll happen for anyone else.
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 18, 2024, 10:08 am

Declan MacPherson wrote:
October 18, 2024, 9:22 am
Interesting story from a friend who lives south of Phitsanulok.

He went to a local TRD office to get a TIN. No one else was there, so staff in the vicinity of his conversation were tuned in to his inquiry.

The interviewer checked his passport. The interviewer told him that he had a retirement visa and cannot work in Thailand. My friend was told he did not qualify.

My friend told them that he remitted pension every month various times through an ATM in Thailand. The interviewer told him that his home country currency doesn't count and that they are only interested in income from employment in Thailand and that he does not qualify for a TIN.

The staff in the vicinity nodded in agreement.

I can only deduce from this that different TRD offices will view this differently just as different immigration offices view situations differently. And of course, this is what is happening yesterday for him. It doesn't mean that it'll happen for anyone else.
Similar to my experience when seeking a TIN here in Oodorn for my overseas bank's KYC rules. After zipping between two different offices, one which said "cannot" and the other that said "can", the 'boss' looked at my Ret Ext and said I pretty much the same as the P'lok desk jockey told your friend. I did persevere, but the woman's obfuscatory nature and attitude caused me to withdraw gracefully. You can't educate pork.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”